Why did no one invent Python before?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Jun 3 09:24:24 EDT 2004

In article <40BE621C.97EEC2AA at alcyone.com>,
Erik Max Francis  <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
>j_mckitrick wrote:
>
>> Seriously, why is a language like this only NOW appearing?  And aside
>> from the interpreter, because while it is nice, it's not the main
>> forte' of the language, IMHO.
>
>I think there's some validity to this question.  It probably has to do
>with a combination of things.  First, it takes a while from the
			.
		[thoughtful analysis]
			.
			.
>Simply put, we live in a time where we have computers that are fast
>enough that it's very practical to use high-level languages, and we live
>in a time where we've had enough practice at it that the the creme of
>the crop are really good at what they do.  That makes the creation of
>something like Python possible.
			.
			.
			.
I see as critical enough time to make sufficient mistakes.
Some of what's right about Python was *not* designed, but
discovered.  Being the finite humans we are, on occasions
it takes us a bit of experience and practice and stumbling
before we're ready to see clearly.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net