python.org CMS

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Wed Jun 9 04:31:43 EDT 2004

Aahz wrote:

> The team for www.python.org is taking another crack at considering a
> content management system for handling the website's content.  This is
> particularly important considering, for example, how far beind we are in
> posting job ads -- getting the community to do our grunt work for us is
> the primary motivator.

it *does* need a facelift :-)

> Right now, Plone/Zope2 is the primary competitor simply because it's
> well-publicized

Good choice!

> The data must be stored in a plain text format that would allow direct
> access if the main system was not functioning.  This doesn't necessarily
> imply the ability to circumvent a web based layer by editing text files
> directly

Your intention is unclear here. If you don't have access to eg. a plone
site, you cannot edit the "files" at all. But on the other hand Zope
allways work ;-)

> though there does need to at least be an easy way to export
> and import such files for people who want to use a Real Editor [tm].

You can easily do that in Plone by using ftp or webdav. Using either
some kind of structured tekst or html. The data is marshalled before and
after editing. This makes it really easy to us normal tools.

> Workflow is presumed to be a hierarchial publish reject model (in other
> words as simple as is possible to begin with).  We'll need both
> coarse-grained and fine-grained security (giving people a variety of
> access levels to large and small sections of the site).

You can do that out of the box in Plone. Either setting permissions on
folders manually, or by using one of the workgroup tools that makes it a
bit simpler.

> The system needs to work with browsers that have limited functionality
> (i.e. Lynx).

hmm! Why on earth would anybody want to do that. Well I guess that some
techs can be stubborn. For editing it would be far easier to just ftp to
the documents you want to edit and then use your editor of choice.

Anyhoo it should work in Plone too.

regards Max M