Teaching Python

Martin Maney maney at pobox.com
Fri Jun 25 22:02:59 EDT 2004

Leif K-Brooks <eurleif at ecritters.biz> wrote:
> Mediocre Person wrote:
>> So, what pitfalls should I look out for in introducing Python to
>> students who have had a year of Visual BASIC?

> I was a Visual Basic programmer for a few months in 2002. It took me
> almost a year to recover. It is vaguely object-oriented, but its
> definition of objects are horribly warped; going to a genuine OO
> language after VB is a complete nightmare.

'way late, as usual, but I can't resist pointing out that IME it's a
complete nightmare going the other way - coming to a project in VB
after having used C++ for some years (with some exposure to other,
purer OO languages, chiefly Smalltalk).  I let myself get talked into
that once; now I know better.  Actually, now I know better than to let
myself be talked into doing time in C++.  :-)

--
During much of that epoch [the thirties and early forties],
I gained my livelihood writing for the silver screen,