wxPython on GTK [Apologies - Probably OFF-TOPIC]

C Johnson devcjohnson at excite.com
Mon Jun 21 15:00:16 EDT 2004

Fernando Perez <fperez528 at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<cb00gj$80k$1 at peabody.colorado.edu>...
> Batista, Facundo wrote:

--8<--SNIP--8<--
> > The problem is that it's actually closed but not fixed, so I'm worried about
> > the viability of wxPython in GTK.

That may be the result of wxWidgets core library never stating support
of GTK+2.4 up.  (More following this)

--8<--SNIP--8<--
> I honestly doubt they can leave such a catastrophic bug alive for long, they'd
> shoot themselves in the foot by losing all users, as linux distros migrate
> over to current GTK.

I am unsure who "they" are in this context but wxWidgets, wxGTK in
particular has *EXPERIMENTAL* support for GTK+2.2 and is of course
suppose to fully support GTK+1.2 up.  Nowhere in the documentation of
the wxWidgets code base does it state support for GTK+2.4 up.  Like
you I can only hope they are working on it but in the mean time I am
trying to come up to speed with the GTK+ core API so that I can submit
patches around the "accidentally exported" public symbols from GTK+2.2
that wxGTK-2.4.2 has been using.  Technically speaking, no - none of
the offending code base *should* have worked if it weren't for
accidentally exported symbols/API change on the GTK+ side that the
wxGTK side picked up.

> So I suspect public pressure will help fix this soon, though I honestly wish it
> hadn't happened in the first place (I've lost the usage of some code which
> relied on wx).

I am not a core wxWidgets developer* but in the event that they are
not, which I doubt they are *not* going to address, others are - I
surely am not the only one stepping up here.  ;)  I am starting to
learn python from a C++ background so that is the motivation for
disrupting your group as well as encountering this problem too.

Chris
linuxok71 AT itlnet DOT net

*I am in no way affiliated with the wxWidgets/wxGTK/GTK core
development team(s) or a spokesperson for them.  If in doubt about the
information in my post then you would be wise to disregard it.  This
is information that I, as an individual, have gathered over the last
three days of "discovering" this issue.  Any errors are quiet honestly
a mistake and not malicious in nature.