wxPython woes

simo simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 16:49:32 EDT 2004

km <km at mrna.tn.nic.in> wrote:

> I feel its a real pain to install wxPython from sources it goes back to install
> gtk+ etc . may be thats why its not yet become defacto GUI standard for python.
> but i'd like to know if anyone has made it easy with an installer for wxPython
> on linux (Debian woody)?
>
> ps: i have tried installing wxPython with the  .deb files availble in testing
> and unstable section. it doesnt work - unable to load  the module

I seem to recall installing wxPython 2.4.24 on a friends LindowsOS box
(a Debian-based abomination) and simply used something like "apt-get
install wxgtk-2.4" and it went ahead quite easily, even installing
Python 2.3.3 as one of the dependencies, I was very impressed, it was
almost as easy as Windows!

I do agree that getting wxPython installed is too much of a nightmare,
mainly due to having to install wxWidgets and GTK+, but PyQt was
probably more hassle.....

Once you have 2.4 installed, 2.5 seemed easier to install (you already
have GTK+ etc. sorted). The pre-packaged RPMs etc. just don't seem to
work, you really have to compile from source.