How important is Python 1.5 compatibility?

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Tue Jun 29 05:45:29 EDT 2004

Josef Dalcolmo wrote:
> well, Debian stable is still Woody and still uses Python 2.1.

I guess that would be the other exception.  However I was
under the impression that Woody users were in two classes:

  - stable systems that are not touched and do not have
    new software installed on them

  - systems where new software is installed and many packages
    from testing are used

The former category is less relevant since they are unlikely
to install new code you are writing, and the latter category
can run Python 2.3 alongside 2.1, or replace it completely.

So the versions pretty much look like this for users who
have not upgraded their systems nor updated their Python
version.

Python 1.5     Redhat 7.3 and before   (no longer supported)
Python 2.1     Debian Woody
Python 2.2     Redhat 8 and 9          (no longer supported)

Roger