Good IDE for Python

Lothar Scholz llothar at web.de
Sun Jun 13 17:43:56 EDT 2004

klachemin at home.com (Kamilche) wrote in message news:<889cbba0.0406122346.2e77941b at posting.google.com>...
> I love Python, but I'm less than in love with IDLE. It's OK, but it
> really doesn't have enough capabilities.
>
> What I consider critical, are a popdown listing of all my functions,
> colored syntax printing, and a right-click 'definition' context menu
> that will hop you to the spot where that keyword is defined, if
> possible. Everything else I could learn to do without, but these
> features keep me hoping for a better IDE for Python.

The problem is that you need more then file level scope for this. For
example the information about all projects and runtime files must be
keept in memory.
Only WingIDE and the upcoming Arachno Python IDE can do this.

> I would also like the ability to create application 'forms' visually.
> I'm on a Windows XP machine.

AFAIK only BOA, Black Adder and WXDesigner do this, maybe the Komodo
TK gui builder can be used with python.