Multithreaded Telnet sessions

Eddie Corns eddie at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Wed Jun 30 11:50:09 EDT 2004

birdfamily at gmail.com (Richard Bird) writes:

>Anything over 20 threads seems to take processor utilization to 100%.
>Is there any benefit to starting additional threads once the CPU is at
>100% ?

I think the only correct answer here is "suck it and see".  It's going to
depend on what's happening.  For instance, if you issue a "write mem" command
then that thread isn't going to be doing anything for a while.  So there's no
obvious definitive answer.

Unless there are known limits to how many threads it is practical to use that
others know about? Anyone?  My intuition would have suggested that a modern
machine could have easily handled more than 20 telnet sessions.  We have less
than 100 Cisco devices but I do have a config save script that I could try
converting to threads, if I get time to convert it I will let you know how
many threads it copes with.

Eddie