Speed of str(positive_integer)..

alejandro david weil aweil at mail.ru
Mon Jun 28 23:43:19 EDT 2004

On Mon June 28 2004 23:41, Tony Meyer wrote:
> > > For small numbers your one beats it because
> > > you don't have to do all the other work that str() does (negatives,
> > > non-integers, etc), but as the
> > Yes. But negatives represents not much more work.
> Enough that it makes a difference when the task is so small, though.

Yes. it's possible. :-(

> > I should check, when have some time, how is str() implemented.
> I believe the CPython implementation uses sprintf, so that doesn't really
> help much.

Yes.. using asciiz buffer and dividing in asm. should be imposible
to match for us in python..

> > > "r = b//c;q = b-r*c" (or "r = b//c;q=b%c", which is better)
> > (I'm not sure that that is better but i think that it
> > should (at least, in assembler (and for integers)))
> By better I meant that it was faster (here, anyway), and clearer (to me,
> anyway).

I thought that multiply and substract was faster than taking module.
But it seems to be not true in python :-(

> > > (with Python 2.3.4).  I suppose this is the penalty for the
> > > additional work that divmod does with checking signs and so on.
> > I'm unsure of how many more things has to do divmod.
> Looking at the implementation in floatobject.c would tell you.  There are
> various things it does to make sure that signs come out correctly.
Then, I were wrong :-)

> > Anyway, if it's implemented in C it couldn't (i think) use
> > the div from assembler that leaves quotient and remainder on
> > different registers. I mean, it should be specially implemented. :-(
> I suppose that the divmod implementation could check to see if both numbers
> were integers and then do the faster integer case.  You'd have to convince
> TPTB that the speed increase was worth it and that the overhead of doing
> the test didn't outweigh the benefits, though.

What's TPTB?

Perhaps a:  4.divmod() only needs to check that one number is an integer :-)

> > Btw, why you didn't answer in the list?
> I did.
Cool, thanks I didn't saw that.

Seeya
alejandro
--
+ There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark.