[PyOpenGL] How do I save runtime on drawing HUGE polylines (120 000 vertices)?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Fri Jun 11 18:37:29 EDT 2004

F. GEIGER wrote:

> The above print statement shows, that 5 secs are consumed for about
> 120 000 (hundred-twenty-thousand) vertices. You guess, the whole GUI
> becomes  unusable.

> So I wonder, do I really need to draw those 120000 vertices over and
> over again?

Yes, that's the nature of OpenGL.

> Would glArrays perform much better?

Certainly.  The array-drawing functionality is always going to be faster
than writing loops in Python.  You'll notice that OpenGLContext goes to
great lengths to push almost all of its rendering into array-based
operations.

> Or is this a case for Display Lists? Any other idea?

Display lists should be fine too, though you'd still have a 5 second
delay waiting for them to compile.

HTH,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher