python service problem

Larry Bates lbates at swamisoft.com
Thu Jun 24 09:53:29 EDT 2004

While it is unclear what your specific problem is, I can
tell you that this is not a "known" problem with Python
services.  I have a development machine that I have
installed/removed one service on at least 100 times over
the course of development and it works properly.  During
that time I installed/ran it both as a PythonService and
as a frozen py2exe service many, many times.

I can tell you that I use InnoInstaller to do my installations
and have it "clean" up during uninstallation by removing the
left over registry keys.  If you cannot remove them, I would
suspect a "rights" issue (no administrative rights?).

HTH,
Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.

"David Fraser" <davidf at sjsoft.com> wrote in message
news:cbe77j$dol$1 at ctb-nnrp2.saix.net...
> Hi
>
> We are trying to debug a problem with services created using py2exe.
> It seems that these problems have arisen after services were installed
> and removed a few times.
>
> OK, first the actual problem we're seeing.  After compiling a service
> with py2exe, running "service -install" and attempting to start it from
> the Services dialog, it pops up the message "Windows could not start the
> Service on Local Computer.  For more information, review the System
> Event Log.  If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service
> vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 1.".
>
> The only thing in the System Event Log is an error logged by Service
> Control Manager saying the service terminated with service-specific error
1.

> Now, the causes.  On all the computers we've seen this problem, the
> service has been installed at least once before and has been able to
> start/stop properly.  On two of the computers, the problem arose after
> uninstalling the service, installing it with "python service.py service
> --install", running it with pythonservice in debug mode, uninstalling it
> with "python service.py service --remove", and then reinstalling from
> the executable.  Since then, the only way it ill run is from
> pythonservice in debug mode.
>
> On the third computer, the service was installed from executable, and
> then reinstalled from an updated executable.  I'm not sure how many
> times the old executable was installed and uninstalled (at most three
> times), but the updated
> executable only ran once, and then showed the error.
>
> One thing I noticed about the first computer is that, even after
> uninstalling everything, there were some registry entries to do with the
> installed services.  I could not delete these entries - I got an access
> denied error (details below)
>
> Does anybody have any ideas?
>
> TIA,
> David Fraser
>
> Registry details: The service is called jHistExportService
>
> The important remnant seems to be:
>   HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\jHistExportService and children
>
> which actually holds details of how to run the service.  For the record,
> the other remnants are:
>   HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_JHISTEXPORTSERVICE and
children

> HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\EventLog\Application\jHistExportService
> and children
>
> HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\EventLog\Application\jHistExportService
> and children
>   HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_JHISTEXPORTSERVICE

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\jHistExportServi
ce