left-quote ( ` ) on International keyboards [Prothon]

Tuure Laurinolli tuure at laurinolli.net
Mon Jun 7 09:59:19 EDT 2004

Mark Hahn wrote:

> We aren't using any of the oddball symbols any more, so $ is free.  I'm a
> little wary of proposing using it though.  The last time I proposed using $
> Prothon was accused of being Perl :-)

I already said I dislike $ the las time i was tried to be used. The
reason for me is that $ looks just like any other letter whereas ` is
immediately recognizable as a special character.

THe other person who shared my opinion had much better argumentation
than my "it looks wrong", but basically it came down to the same thing.
Just with words such as "baseline" and "sigil":

> Is $ easier to type on foreign keyboards?

I doubt that, probably almost every special character on non-US
keyboards requires two sequential keypresses or a combination. ` is `
followed by space, $ is altgr + 4. Personally I think ` is actually
easier ty type.