Python reference

Matthew Thorley ruach at chpc.utah.edu
Thu Jun 3 05:52:50 EDT 2004

John fabiani wrote:
> Reiner Block wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> does anybody knows a really good Python reference? It is not the
>> matter if it
>> is online or a book, if it is in english or german. Because the
>> official one
>> from www.python.org is really bad. :-(
>>
>> Referencegreetings
>>
>> Reiner
>
> Try O'Reilly books.
> John

Such as:
Learning Python by Lutz and Asher
Programming Python by Lutz
Python Cookbook by Martelli and Asher
Python Standard Library by Fredrick Lundh

When I was learning python 'Learning python' was what I read most. Now I
  basicaly just use Python Standard Lib (probably my favorite) and
Programming Python. I also got a copy of Text Processing in Python by
David Mertz which is really good for text processing but kinda a heavy read.

Another book that I haven't read is Python Programming Patterns

As for online resources the Python Quick Reference is very helpful.
http://rgruet.free.fr/PQR2.3.html

cheers
-matthew