python vs awk for simple sysamin tasks

Steve Lamb grey at despair.dmiyu.org
Fri Jun 4 08:40:17 EDT 2004

On 2004-06-04, Pete Forman <pete.forman at westerngeco.com> wrote:
> That said, I still would agree with others in this thread that one
> liners are useful.  It is a good idea to be familiar with awk, find,
> grep, sed, xargs, etc.

    Then you, like some others, would have missed my point.  I never said that
one liners aren't useful.  I never said one should not know the standard tools
available on virtually all unix systems.  I said, quite clearly, that I felt
*anything larger than a one liner* should not be done in shell.

    That means one liners are cool in shell.  They serve a purpose.