Equation style

Russell Blau russblau at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 18 14:48:02 EDT 2004

This is not really a Python question, but it does relate to a Python program
I'm working on, so this seems like as good a place as any to ask for
suggestions ...

I'm working on a GUI application that lets the user enter an alegbraic
equation and displays a nicely-formatted representation of the same equation
(and then maybe does other stuff with it).  The question is:  if you have an
equation containing terms such as x * y / z, which way of formatting the
equation is better (these being pathetic ASCII imitations of what the GUI
would display more nicely):

   y           x y
   z            z

Does your answer depend on whether these symbols represent numbers,
constants, or variables?  (Obviously, both forms are exactly equivalent
mathematically; the question is which one looks better for display
purposes.)  Any other suggestions on style would be welcome.

--
I don't actually read my hotmail account, but you can replace hotmail with
excite if you really want to reach me.