Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Jun 2)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Thu Jun 3 09:19:34 EDT 2004

In article <95aa1afa.0406030318.4d8b92f6 at posting.google.com>,
Michele Simionato <michele.simionato at poste.it> wrote:
>"Cameron Laird" <python-url at phaseit.net> wrote in message
>news:<10bsm3r1h275cd7 at corp.supernews.com>...
>>     Michele Simionato illustrates Python's itertool-related chop(),
>>     a far different thing than Perl's standard library member
>> 	http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2004-May/222673.html
>
>FWIW, I didn't know Perl had a 'chop'. I took the name from Chicken, a
>Scheme implementation I like a lot.
>
>    Michele Simionato

I want to make clear that I wasn't criticizing.  While
I didn't know about Chicken, I've come across "chop"
before in the sense of "segment a sequence"; I thought
it was entirely legitimate.  HOWEVER, a lot of Pythoneers
and especially Python newcomers are familiar with Perl,
and I thought it important to make *that* distinction
explicit.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net