OT: Chat server

Hung Jung Lu hungjunglu at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 13:00:33 EDT 2004

claird at lairds.com (Cameron Laird) wrote:
> Hung Jung, please be more specific about the defects of the books.
> I know of four different ones, and I mildly favored one in <URL:
> http://www.unixreview.com/documents/s=8217/ur0306c/ >.  If it has
> defects I overlooked, I want to know, so as not to mislead readers
> or Miki.

I haven't seen that book myself. The only book available in my local
bookstores was:

"Jabber Developer's Handbook", by Dana Moore, William Wright

and that one I really did not like. I took a look at it in more than 5
runs to the local bookstores. And overall I found it useless. I don't
know how else to say it. I mean, if I pick up a book like "Learning
Python," I get productive in 5 minutes. With this other book, I
wouldn't be productive even after 5 days.

I got replies in May from the Jabber Dev mailing list. Here is what
people said:

(1) "Most of the Jabber books ive seen have been out for quite a while
and will I expect be very out of date for all but the most simplest
things, I doubt its worth buying them. Richard"

(2) "I found "Programming Jabber" by DJ Adams very informative, easy
to read to not to far out of date. I do NOT recommend the other books,
"Jabber Programming" by Lee and Smelser and Jabber Developer's
Handbook by William Wright. Very confusing or little information,
stick with Adams. With the Adams book, the JEPs, a client, 10 lines of
python code and jabberd running in debug mode, you can explore jabber
effectively. Well, that's what I did to learn about it for my non-IM
based research project."

So I guess I paid too much attention to the first person's comment. :(

The second person's opinion seems in line with your recommendation, so
that's good.  I'll look into Adams' book. Thanks.

Hung Jung