Why did no one invent Python before?

Lothar Scholz llothar at web.de
Thu Jun 3 16:26:10 EDT 2004

j_mckitrick at bigfoot.com (j_mckitrick) wrote in message news:<ec6dce8b.0406030618.75b70a9c at posting.google.com>...
> > - much better development environment; you really don't know what you're
> > missing until you've used smalltalk's browsers, inspectors and
> > debuggers. It's the main thing I really, really miss in python.
>
> I keep hearing about this Smalltalk IDE.  What is really the big deal,
> and why hasn't MS ripped it off?  I tried to find screenshots but
> couldn't.  I also applied for a demo download, but never heard back
> from the company.

MS can't ripp it off. It is a "macro" less OO image based language.
The "image based" is the technical difference and the reason why there
is nothing and can never be something like Smalltalk for python (and
python like languages).

The Perl/Ruby/Python/PHP world have the problem that the languages are
written for intelligent programmer not for intelligent tools (like
refactoring etc).