serial, parallel and USB port

Josef Dalcolmo dalcolmo at vh-s.de
Mon Jun 28 06:48:16 EDT 2004

on Sat, 19 Jun 2004 20:19:36 -0700
"Roger Binns" <rogerb at rogerbinns.com> wrote:

> And if you want USB access, I have done a Python wrapper around libusb
> that works on Windows, Linux and Mac:
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/bitpim/bitpim/native/usb/

Interesting. From a first glance at it I think one has to compile the extension oneself. Now, I for example do not have MS-C installed - Cygwin is still a World apart and MinGW doesn't compile Python out of the box either.

So the original posting may also read as:
why aren't these interface in the standard distribution?

The answer is probably, "because nobody volunteered to stuff them in there" - but I admit I wish too, these I/O routines were in the standard distribution, especially for the USB stuff, since USB interfaces are ubiquitous nowadays.