Listing functions in a file IN ORDER

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Tue Jun 29 11:52:47 EDT 2004

Ian Sparks wrote:

> I have a python file with a number of functions named with the form doX so
> :
>
> doTask1
> doThing
> doOther
>
> The order these are executed in is important and I want them to be
> executed top-down. They all have the same parameter signature so I'd like
> to do :
>
>     for name, func in vars(mymodule).items():
>         if not name.startswith("do") and callable(func):
>             apply(func,my_params)
>
> but the problem is that the return from vars is not ordered the same as in
> the file. i.e. it could be
>
> doOther
> doTask1
> doThing
>
> The low tech solution is to use dir() and re-name the functions to sort
> alphabetically but perhaps there is a more elegant solution?

The following minimal code will break with methods and nested functions.

<xyz.py>
def z(): print  "ZZZ"
def y(): print  "YYY"
def x(): print  "XXX"
</xyz.py>

<runxyz.py>
import compiler

class Visitor:
    def __init__(self, module, *args):
        self.module = module
        self.args = args
    def visitFunction(self, node):
        getattr(self.module, node.name)(*self.args)

def callInOrder(module, *args):
    ast = compiler.parseFile(module.__file__)
    compiler.walk(ast, Visitor(module, *args))

if __name__ == "__main__":
    import xyz
    callInOrder(xyz)
</runxyz.py>

Not particularly elegant, but crazy enough to be worth posting...

Peter