question on garbage collection for python

David Stockwell winexpert at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 09:16:00 EDT 2004

Hi,

Does Python leave things in an unknown state?

say I do this in my python code

someFile = open('somefile' , 'r')

data = someFile.read()

someFile = 3

At this point I would hope python would know to destruct the prior reference
to someFile by unallocating the memory (under the hood) and closing the
file.

The questions here are:
If in my code if I forget to close a file, when will the file be closed?  Is
it when something goes out of scope?  Or will it close when the python
session ends?

If I define a class of somesort, is there a way I can have a destructor
method (like I would under C++ ?)

Thanks in advance,

David

-------