wxPython tutorial

Piet pit.grinja at gmx.de
Wed Jul 7 02:53:24 EDT 2004

chris <chris at misery.net> wrote in message news:<FeXDc.65428$Np3.3095123 at ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>...
> Is there any good wxPython tutorial besides the one on the man site?
I have started to program in wxPython six months ago and I can still
remember the first few weeks. The lack of documentation is, in my
opinion, a real drawback. THere are some tutorials available on the
wxpython.wiki, but these do not go really far. What I missed (and
still miss) is some kind of reference that does not only describe the
syntax and options for the widget constructors and the different
methods available for each widget (this information can be retrieved
from the wxWidgets documentation and the sample programs) but a more
detailed reference explaining how all these things work together (e.g.
how one can link a data object to a cell of a wxGrid and when this is
useful/necessary). I just bought the german book "python ajd gui
toolkits", but 100 p. for wxPython (version 2.3) does not seem to be
appropriate. It might be good to decide what GUI toolkit you want, but
not enough to master ist when you have made your decision.
At the very beginning, it would have even helped me to know that the
samples from the main "demo" program can not be simply executed by
copying the source code to another file, but that the sample scripts
are available in a "stand-alone" version in the "demo"-directory in
the wxPython installation directory.
Maybe someone will write a book on that topic...
Piet