Typed Python?

Michael Sparks zathras at thwackety.com
Wed Jul 7 05:33:13 EDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Peter Hansen wrote:

> Was your sample non-programmer a native English speaker?  I don't
> know anyone who interprets "if/then/else" as implying some kind
> of exception mechanism, programmer or not.

Yes. Furthermore the person in question has a MA in English Lit. It's
often very interesting to run "obvious" syntax past "non-scientist/
engineer" types simply because you'll often find that many of them prefer
arts type things because they find science/logic type things counter
intuitive.

> That's ludicrous.

I found it so too. It's why I mentioned it! Things you think are clear
might not be as clear as you think.

> Is it possible _you_ were misinterpreting
> what your non-programmer meant by "if that fails"?

Nope. It prompted an interesting conversation afterwards - that's
definitely what they thought it meant.

Regards,

Michael.