JPEG2000 support?

Kyler Laird Kyler at news.Lairds.org
Mon Jul 26 10:08:56 EDT 2004

Christopher T King <squirrel at WPI.EDU> writes:

>PyMagick is a Python interface to the powerful, cross-platform ImageMagick
>graphics package, which supports JPEG2000 through an external library.

I've also been using ImageMagick to do some conversions.  (In fact, I'm going
to try it soon to see if it can handle converting a ~12GB image without first
also handle JPEG2000.

A few days ago when I was searching for this information I recall seeing that
someone was having problems using ImageMagick for JPEG2000 because he could
not find a way to specify some of the JPEG2000-specific features.  I will
need to be able to, for example, set the progression order for creating
JPEG2000 images but I'm o.k. with creating the image with something else.

It's vital, however, that I find a way to extract images efficiently.  When I
timed ImageMagick by using "convert" to extract various resolutions of a
JPEG2000 image (simply using "-scale"), it was not clear to me that it was
taking advantage of JPEG2000's multi-resolution capabilities.

Thank you for the reference.  I'll try a PyMagick implementation.  (I would
have done it sooner but it's not a Debian package.)

--kyler