Why would I learn Python over other languages?

bruno modulix onurb at xiludom.gro
Tue Jul 13 16:04:40 EDT 2004

Charif Lakchiri a écrit :
> Thank you all for the enlighting information and opinions. It was very, very
> helpful.
> I have setup up Python on my system and played around a bit with, and I have
> to admit that it's surprisingly simple and easy to get things done with it.
> However, in my "quest" for interpreted oo scripting languages, I also came
> across a language called Ruby. I know it's a lot to ask, but I would really
> appreciate a few words, no great detail, comparing Python to Ruby from those
> of you who have experience with both.

Ok, let's do it again :
>>It is easy to learn?
Yes, but not quite as easy as Python - unless you have prior experience
with Smalltalk and Lisp.

>>Does it support GUI programming?
Of course (more or less the same toolkits as Python)

>>Does it support server-side programming, say for web apps?
Of course

>>Does it have extensions and libraries, say for DB connectivity, serial com
>>or network programming...?
Of course

>>Can it be used for administrative tasks, say as perl...?
Of course, and it's probably better at this than Python (well, at least
more suited to Perl-like hacking ?-)

>>Also, can it be compiled to native code?
AFAIK, no.