wxPython: wxGrid vs. wxListCtrl

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Sun Jul 4 00:19:56 EDT 2004

RichH wrote:
> I've built a grid in this way and it was slow as I was changing the
> data in the table continuously.  Is there any way to tell the grid
> that just a few cells have changed?  My program was redrawing the
> whole grid (the visible portion of the grid) each time I changed
> any cell.

When you send the wxGRIDTABLE_REQUEST_VIEW_GET_VALUES message the
grid will end up requesting all visible values.  I couldn't
see any way of doing just a subset of the values.

There are some ways of mitigating this.  The simplest would
be to add an idle handler and have it check if the message
should be sent.  That way you can continuously update the
table values, but send far fewer messages about the updates.

I would also recommend you post your query on the wxPython-users
mailing list as Robin and many other people respond there
way quicker and in more detail than this group.

I would also recommend you have a sample program illustrating
what you are trying to do and how you have coded it.  Robin
usually requests one, and it helps other people to see what
you are seeing.

Roger