int() 24 times slower then long() in Python 2.3

paolo veronelli paolo_veronelli at yahoo.it
Wed Jul 14 03:32:09 EDT 2004

On 13 Jul 2004 14:34:25 -0700, Paul Rubin <"http://phr.cx"@NOSPAM.invalid>
wrote:

> "Nick Smallbone" <nick at nick8325.freeserve.co.uk> writes:
>> >
>> > IMO the speed at which a bunch of invalid conversions are
>> > executed means nothing at all. Could you come up with an example
>> > that show the same symptoms in a meaningful context?
>>
>> What do you mean? bbbbaaaa is a hex number.

>> 3149638314L
>
> It's not an int.  It has to attempt to convert to int, trap the error
> and recover from it, and then convert to a long.
I don't undersand the meaning of int()
If I want an int() (two bytes?) I want two bytes.It should truncate.If the
result is the same with long() a part from the warning
I think int() is unmeaningfull.Transparency is away from warnings.
This python is saying I used the wrong function and there at least two
cases:
	I have wrong results.
	He is doing my businness.

IMHO I want wrong results.