Lists, tuples and memory.

Larry Bates lbates at swamisoft.com
Thu Jul 15 16:15:16 EDT 2004

Any reason not to put the words into a dictionary?

Then your code becomes:

lstdict=dict([(x.lower().strip(), None) for x in
              file("D:\\CommonDictionary.txt")])

if lstdict.has_key(word):
  do something

(not tested, but should be close)

I'll bet access is faster (even if loading is slightly slower).
You also benefit from the fact that the dictionary file
doesn't need to be kept sorted.

HTH,
Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.