build a binary for Windows on Linux, Solaris or Mac OSX?

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Jul 6 14:56:41 EDT 2004

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

> I'd like to package up my typing watcher script in a bundled form (no
> separate Python install required) for use on Windows.  (Un)fortunately, I
> don't have access to a Windows computer.  Do any of the packaging tools
> (py2exe, MacMillan's Installer, etc) allow cross-platform bundling?
>
> Failing that, can I coax someone into building such a beast for me so
> I can include it on http://sourceforge.net/projects/watch/?

I could do it, although it seems a little work is stil required to port
watch to Windows:

C:\watch-1.1>\python23\Scripts\watch.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\python23\Scripts\watch.py", line 667, in ?
    main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "C:\python23\Scripts\watch.py", line 611, in main
    server=server, port=port)
  File "C:\python23\Scripts\watch.py", line 235, in __init__
    self.output = open("/dev/null", "w")
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/null'
> c:\python23\scripts\watch.py(235)__init__()
-> self.output = open("/dev/null", "w")
(Pdb)

Thomas