metaclasses and Exceptions

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Fri Jul 30 13:11:49 EDT 2004

mnotting at gmail.com (Mark Nottingham) writes:

> From previous discussion [1] it seems that it's not possible to raise
> new-style objects. Does this effectively mean that it's impossible to
> use anything with a metaclass as an exception?

Yes.

> If not, does anyone anticipate this changing anytime soon?

One of the areas where PyPy is different from CPython is that there
are no old-style classes or instances, so exceptions are necessarily
new-style.  This has caused no real problems on any Python program
we've tried it on yet...

Cheers,
mwh

--
  I also fondly recall Paris because that's where I learned to
  debug Zetalisp while drunk.                          -- Olin Shivers