Typed Python?

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Thu Jul 8 02:13:49 EDT 2004

Hamilcar Barca wrote:

>>I'll say that let them teach Python in the introductory course, and
>>let the students that have the craving learn Scheme in their own
>>time. More people would learn more things, and have more fun.
>

> The concepts in Scheme matter a great deal in computer science. Those that
> are "craving ... fun" may do it on their own time.

Why not have fun while learning computer science? Scheme is just a
programming language. It is not in and of itself a revelation of the
deepest concepts of computer science. Python supports recursion, second
order functions, numerical programming and hundreds of other important
concepts. In my mind, Scheme actually lacks important stuff like the
idea that types can be created (not simulated, but CREATED) by
programmers and not just language designers. It also lacks various other
OOP concepts (in its standard form).

  Paul Prescod