Prothon 0.1.2 is getting close to Alpha [Prothon]

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 01:11:36 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<S4mdnZpNUsHlnXPdRVn-ig at powergate.ca>...
> My real point, though, is that Python programmers are perhaps
> above all else *pragmatic*.  We'll keep using Python as long as
> it is so effective, even with its warts, while we either
> eagerly or casually (depending on our own nature) observe
> idealists like you who have the time and inclination to try
> to improve things.  If and when you succeed, many will probably
> explore the possibility of making a shift to the new offshoot,
> and the Great Tree of Computer Languages will have expanded
> by one more generation.  So don't assume that there isn't
> interest here.
>
> But, in the meantime, we have work to do, and Python is pretty
> damn good at getting out of our way and letting us do it.  (And
> for the same reason, we appreciate the fact that most of the
> Prothon discussion is in its own mailing list, if I can channel
> the silent majority for a moment. :-)
>
> -Peter

I don't know about the silent majority, but you certainly channel me,
including the point about "being pragmatic". Whether Prothon will grow
to satisfy the expectations is still to be seem, but I would certainly use
another language if I found one better than Python for the task I have to
accomplish.

         Michele Simionato