python hiccups

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jul 14 13:35:47 EDT 2004

Greetings;

I just subbed to this list because I'm not finding any help on the yum
list.

Here is the problem:
----------
[root at coyote qt-x11-free-3.2.3]# yum update
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
    import yummain
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
    import yumcomps
  File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
    import comps
  File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
    import libxml2
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
    import libxml2mod
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined
symbol: xmlByteConsumed
--------------

Both the yum install, and the python2.2 install have been checked and
verified, md5summed, you name it, but the error persists.  The symbol
does exist in the named file too.  The only questionable file in the
whole install is /etc/yum/yum.conf, because I've added a couple more
repo's to it.  It worked with those additions several times, but has
not been able to run since the last update run well over a week ago
now.

I see by your web site that 2.3 is out, should I install it?  In which
case how many other packages will need replaced to satisfy
dependencies?

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.