IDE

Shawn Wheatley swheatley at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:39:19 EDT 2004

On 16 Jul 2004 14:32:08 -0400, Nick Vargish <nav+posts at bandersnatch.org> wrote:

> I like Komodo a lot, but without an OS X version it's of limited use
> to me.
>
> (X)Emacs is still the winner -- runs on all platforms, and has a text
> mode for the times I'm logged into a system through a terminal
> emulator.

Has anybody else conceded defeat there isn't a be-all, end-all text
editor for them?  I've mostly just decided to look for an editor on
each platform that has the core functionality I want (key combos I
expect, code folding, etc.), but integrates well with the platform I'm
on.  For example, I do mostly .NET work in Visual Studio at work.  So
when I'm doing Python at work, it makes the most sense to use
ActiveState's Python add-in for VS.NET.  When I'm on Linux, it might
be Komodo, or Eric3, or a stand-alone text editor.

I'd like to have a One True Editor, but in all my years of programming
(10 or so? :), I've never felt comfortable in either Emacs or Vi(m)

Shawn