Why would I learn Python over other languages?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 8 05:36:34 EDT 2004

On 08 Jul 2004 00:04:51 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:
> > Does it support GUI programming?
>
> Hmm, yes, although the official GUI toolkit (tkinter) is cumbersome,
> doesn't look so great on the screen, and is poorly documented.

I won't dispute the other points but Tkinter is better documented
than any other Python GUI toolkit IMHO. Not only does it have the
Pythonware web site, it also has a book by Grayson and all the
Tcl/Tk documentation(books and web sites)

I'd argue that the amount of documentation for Tk (and thus
Tkinter) exceeds any GUI tookit other than X or Microsoft's
various efforts.

Picking nits,

Alan G.

Author of the Learn to Program website