Speed of pysnmp

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Jul 10 20:04:27 EDT 2004

There's been some talk recently about the relative speeds of the various
python SNMP libraries.  I just did a little benchmarking, and got some
surprising results.

I downloaded pysnmp-3.4.2 and build a little mib walk application around
it.  I used it to walk ifDescr on an Extreme Summit 48i (48 port
ethernet switch).  I did the same thing using snmpwalk from net-snmp
5.0.8.

The switch is back in my office; I'm sitting at home running this on my
Mac OSX box, through a VLAN connection over DSL.  Ping times are around
40ms:

--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 37.597/39.801/41.902 ms

The results are rather surprising (I ran these several times; the
numbers below are fairly typical):

$ time ./get.py > get.out
real    0m9.045s
user    0m1.010s
sys     0m0.510s

$ time snmpwalk -v1 -c public 192.168.1.1 ifDescr > snmpwalk.out
real    0m3.896s
user    0m0.120s
sys     0m0.130s

The two output files had identical information (except for trivial
output formatting differences).  There were a total of 73 rows.

It's entirely expected that the pysnmp version had much higher CPU times
(from about 0.25 to 1.5 total user+sys).  What I don't understand is why
the real time went up so much, from about 4 seconds to about 9 seconds.
Most of the time doing a mib walk is waiting for UDP packets on the wire.

If the ping RTT is 40ms, and there's 73 rows, that's 2.9 seconds, which
accounts for about 3/4 of the real time.  Add in a 1/4 second of CPU at
this end, figure the same at the other end, a few ms for process
switching for each packet, and it's easy to see where all the time goes.

But, where does the additional 5 seconds of real time come from for the
pysnmp version?  I burned another 1-1/4 seconds of CPU at my end, but
everything else really should be the same.  The network doesn't know
what kind of code built the packets.  Neither does the box at the other
end.  Something's inserting another 50ms or so delay per packet which is
not accounted for my the CPU time.  Anybody have any ideas where that
might be coming from?