Short if

Peter Hickman peter at semantico.com
Wed Jul 7 06:00:32 EDT 2004

Thomas Lindgaard wrote:

> Hello
>
> Does Python have a short if like C or PHP:
>
>   bool = false
>   string = 'This is ' + (( bool ) ? 'true' : 'false')
>
> ?

As elegant as that may seem it is all too easy to abuse. Especially when people
start to nest them. Code can quickly become unreadable. I almost always have to
convert nested ?:'s to proper if then else constructs when I come across them in
Perl.

But then I prefer readability over byte misering. Python is a language which is
founded on readability, lets not forget that.