Call for Grant Proposals

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Thu Jul 29 18:53:38 EDT 2004

Hi,

I have a few questions to ask about this grant and I've emailed this to
psf-grant at python.org but had no replies yet. Maybe someone authoritative
from PSF can help me out in this or anyone can put in some comments.

I am currently a postgraduate student in the University of Melbourne,
Australia, and would like to put forward a proposal for the PSF Grant
this year. However before I can do so, I have some queries regarding the
nature of this grant and its impact on my research work, which will be
precipitating to a degree of Doctor of Philosophy.

1. Is there a requirement to release the deliverables, including,
software, source codes, specifications and documentation, to the general
public using any of the Open Source Initiative (OSI) approved open
source licences?

2. Will there be any form of intellectual property claims, including,
copyrights, trade marks, patents, on any form of work generated from the
PSF Grant by the Python Software Foundation (PSF) or any of its
associates? If so, what are the precise nature of it? This is important
as it may injure the research work and subsequently, the resultant
thesis and publications directing towards the award of my degree.

3. On the website (http://www.python.org/psf/call-2004.html), it is
stated that the project of which the grant is granted for must be
completed by October 30, 2005. In event of failure to meet, what will be
the penalities?

4. From Question 3, what constitutes partial failure or complete failure
of the project?

5. From Question 4, it is stated on the website
(http://www.python.org/psf/call-2004.html) that a delivery plan is
essential in the proposal. How will delay in delivery affect the payment
plan and the grant on the whole?

6. Can the PSF Grant be used to generate proprietary work and yet,
furthering the development of Python, Python-related technology, and
educational resources? An example of such is the development of a
proprietary Integrated Development Environment (IDE).

Awaiting for you replies.

Warmest regards,
Maurice Ling