namespace for released packages?

Alex Hunsley lard at tardis.ed.ac.molar.uk
Mon Jul 19 06:28:50 EDT 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Alex Hunsley wrote:
>
>> So in my case, it would be sufficient to place all my code in a
>> package named after the product? (in my case, 'Pypreweb', which hasn't
>> been taken, I've checked.)
>

> Yes, although "preweb" might be a better alternative, given that it is
> clear you are talking about Python.

I quite like 'pypreweb', pronounced 'piper-web'. :) Sounds a bit more
interesting sounding than 'preweb' IMHO. The other idea was papyrus, which I
quite like (and is also not taken).

And it seems quite common to prepend py to the start of python projects.... not
unusual, anyway.

>> I suppose the affiliation information could be a tripping point - e.g.
>> if someone else takes ownership of the product, the package name (if
>> derived from a doman name etc) would no longer be appropriate!
>

> Indeed. Then, all applications using the package need to be changed.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

I hadn't thought of it that way before, but it's a good point.

alex