Restructured Text from Java

Steve Menard steve.menard at videotron.ca
Sun Jul 18 10:38:11 EDT 2004

Ravi wrote:
> So I'm designing a wiki-type open source Content Managment System using
> JSP and Subversion as the back-end, and I would like to use ReST for the
> pages. The problem is I'm not sure how to access docutils from Java. Is
> there a library somewhere that will let me convert ReST to html from
> within Java? Will Jython work with docutils? Or should I kludge
> something together around the command line?
>
> I appreciate any help. Thanks.
>
> Ravi

Jython will work ... if ReST is jython-compatible. for this is must be
python 2.1 level or thereabout, and not use any extensions.

Otherwise ... you can indeed much around the command-line and
Runtime.exec*(). This is asking for a lot of headache though ...

if you have the option, you can build a python program and publish its
interface either via SOAP or CORBA, then call that web-service from Java.

Lastly, you can interface python's VM at the native code level. you can
do it yourself if you know C programming, or you can use JPE
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpe/) if you can get it working.

I hope this helps,

Steve Menard