Typed Python?

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Sun Jul 4 21:40:36 EDT 2004

On 04 Jul 2004 21:40:11 +0300, Ville Vainio <ville at spammers.com>
wrote:

>    Arthur> "Python is easy, and learning to program with Python is
>    Arthur> easy."
>
>    Arthur> Often implying that it is only that others are making the
>    Arthur> effort in languages other than Python that makes it seem
>    Arthur> otherwise.
>
>    Arthur> Which is wonderful to hear, and would be worth saying, if
>    Arthur> saying it would make it true.
>
>    Arthur> Of course, it doesn't.
>
>    Arthur> Of course, its nonsense.
>
>Well, many of us just think it's true. Only the academics seem to
>think Scheme is easier to learn than, say Python or even C. Students
>often disagree.

I don't think the academics you are referring to think Scheme is
easier to learn than Python,  I'm thinking that they might be thinking
that neither is *easy*, and easy isn't the point in any case.

It is precisely this promotion as "easy" as somehow representing an
ultimnate good, in the context of education, that I find frustrating
to hear repeated so often here.

Is that the most important thing that Python has to offer?

It seems to me that in many respects Python is a programmer's
programming language.  Isn't it safe to say that most people who use
Python, learned their fundamentals elsewhere, and find Python as a
productive way of applying what they already know.

This would be consistent with something I believe I read Guido as
having said in a recent interview.  That Python was originally
developed as a tool for C programmers.  ABC roots notwithstanding

I think I can be articulate as to why Python can be a good tool to
apply to educational challenges.  But "easy" is never a word that
comes quickly to mind.

"Glue" comes to mind.

"Fun" comes to mind - and I see nothing wrong with *that* word in an
educational context.

It happens that *I* have learned Python and not learned Scheme, or C.

Maybe precisely *because* it is messier than either.  ;)

Art