Accessing Oracle from Python

Larry Bates lbates at swamisoft.com
Thu Jul 15 12:00:56 EDT 2004

You don't want to use ODBC as that is a Windows interface
that doesn't natively exist on Linux.  You can purchase
Linux ODBC interfaces from companies like EasySoft, but
if your program is running on Linux you will be much better
off with a native interface.  ODBC overhead is quite large
and should be avoided whenever possible.  You didn't say
which version of Oracle, but for 7 and 8 you can use

http://www.zope.org/Products/DCOracle/

8i and above can be accessed using

http://www.zope.org/Members/matt/dco2/

Access to remote Oracle databases is just done via TCP
connections.

Note: Our experience is that Oracle runs MUCH better
on Linux than Windows (as much as 5 times faster on
equivalent hardware).  Are you sure you want the database
on Windows?

HTH,
Larry Bates
Syscon, Inc.