Installation Python2.3.4 & Mandrake 10

Christopher T King squirrel at WPI.EDU
Tue Jul 20 15:59:17 EDT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, P. Jouin wrote:

> I've try your syntax which python and i saw the path was /usr/bin/python
> When i launch this syntax /usr/local/bin/python it was the right version
> Python 2.3.4.
>
> Can you say me what can i do for modify the path ?

First, try 'hash -r', assuming you're using bash.  bash hashes paths to
programs so it doesn't have to look them up every time you run them:
chances are it's still looking for python in /usr/bin/.  'hash -r' will
clear the hash table and force bash to look for python again (and
hopefully find it in /usr/local/bin/).

If that doesn't work, then you will have to modifiy the PATH variable.
In your ~/.bashrc file (assuming you're using bash, again), add the line
'export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH' to the end.  This will place
/usr/local/bin/ at the start of the path search list.  As above, use 'hash
-r' to force bash to look up python using the new PATH.

Either way, you should probably uninstall Mandrake's version of Python,
unless other packages depend on it, in order to avoid any future
conflicts.

> (P.S. your french is not bad but my english it is. So sorry)

It reads well enough for me -- post in it! :) Though there are a few
French speakers following this list, there are a lot more English speakers
(native or otherwise) on it, so you're much more likely to get a quick
response that way.

It's also good to 'reply to all', so that the discussion stays on the list
and others can benefit from it (I cc:d this to the list for that reason).

Hope this helps!