Database adapters

Cy Edmunds cedmunds at spamless.rochester.rr.com
Mon Jul 12 18:37:25 EDT 2004

"Ed Leafe" <ed at leafe.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.287.1089662844.5135.python-list at python.org...
> I'm using Python for my database work, and need to be able to connect
> to various servers, such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird, and others.
> There are a number of adapters available for each of these, but I run
> into the same problem with all: I need to have that database server
> installed on the machine for which I need to build the adapter. Since
> my development work is done on a workstation and not a server, this
> causes a problem.
>
> How do I accomplish this? How can I build, say, psycopg so that I can
> connect from my dev machine to a server that's on another host
> somewhere on the internet?
>
>       ___/
>      /
>     __/
>    /
>   ____/
>   Ed Leafe
>   http://leafe.com/
>   http://dabodev.com/

I connect to various types of databases from Python using ODBC. All you need
on the client side is an ODBC driver.

Of course there are lots of caveats. You aren't going to get the full set of
features from each vendor by using a common interface. There are also syntax
differences between the SQL dialects supported by various vendors. For my
simple applications these have not been serious problems but YMMV.

--
Cy
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/