Q: distutils - name clash protection?

Heiko Wundram heikowu at ceosg.de
Tue Jul 27 02:52:38 EDT 2004

Repost, as only sent to op...

Am Montag, 26. Juli 2004 22:53 schrieb Martin Bless:
> Q: How do I make my setup procedure safe?
> Q: How can I let users specify a different destination dir?

Simple answer to both of the questions: there's no way to do this at the
moment. If you're interested in implementing something like this, read on PEP
262[1], and help me implement the necessary architecture...

I'm currently working on writing up a proposal myself (as PEP 262 doesn't go
quite as far as I would like it to go), and I've already written some code
which does what PEP 262 proposes (to have a database of installed modules)
and more (letting users specify a destination directory for the module,
having automatic support for user directories if you can't install the module
as root, etc.), but I'm not finished with yet...

Anyway, feel free to contact me if you're willing to help. Once the draft of
the "new" PEP is finished, I'll send it to python-dev, as I said last week;
it'll only be a matter of days now, as I'm currently in preparation for my
medicine exams this week and this weekend...

Heiko.

[1] http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0262.html