replace dict contents

Satchidanand Haridas sharidas at zeomega.com
Tue Jul 27 08:54:21 EDT 2004

Tim Jarman wrote:

> On 27 Jul 2004, at 08:56, Robin Becker wrote:
>
>> Is there a simple way to replace the contents of a dictionary
>> entirely with those of another.
>>
>> for lists we can do
>>
>> L1[:] = L2
>>
>> but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent for dicts.
>> --
>> Robin Becker
>> --
>>

> How about:

> False
> {'gumby': 'my brain hurts!'}
> False
>
> HTH
>
> Tim J

Quoting from Python Language Reference:
"The operators is and is not test for object identity: |x is y| is true
if and only if x and y are the same object. |x is not y| yields the
inverse truth value."

d1 and d2 are not the same objects. They are two different objects
having the same value. Hence using the 'is' operator returns false.

On the other hand,

 >>>d3 = d2
 >>>d3 is d2
True

Regards,
Satchit

----
Satchidanand Haridas (sharidas at zeomega dot com)

ZeOmega (www.zeomega.com)
Open  Minds' Open Solutions

#20,Rajalakshmi Plaza,
South End Road,