How big is python24.dll?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 13 00:46:02 EDT 2004

Delaney, Timothy C (Timothy) wrote:
> Ouch. Did changing to .Net 2003 add that much overhead? Do we know what it would be with VC6?

No, and no. python24.dll incorporates many extension modules which were
separate .pyd files before. In particular, it contains all .pyd files
which don't require additional libraries (DLLs or external libraries).
A number of new extension modules were added for 2.4 also, which got
incorporated into python24.dll.

If you want to know the precise numbers, create a list of DLLs for
Python 2.3, and a similar list for Python 2.4, and see what files
went away. Also, compare the list of builtin modules to find out
what modules have been added since 2.3.

If this kind of combination has any effect on the size, it rather
causes to safe space than to waste it: that way, Python ships with
less DLLs, which means fewer files, and less overhead for DLL
data structures.

Regards,
Martin