design methodology question

Jaco Smuts JSmuts at clover.co.za
Wed Jul 14 09:32:19 EDT 2004

Hello there.

short version of my question:
I am looking for an article discussing methods used to code a layer
between my rdbms and my application.

longer version:
I've just completed an application using wxPython and pysqlite (I've
worked with mysql, sql server, oracle, db2, etc.... before. Opted for
sqlite out  of curiosity and licensing considerations). As usual at the
end of the exercise I am highly frustrated with all the code involved in
maintaining the persistence of my objects in the rdbms I once again went
down the road of investigating OODB's (including ZODB), and I've once
again come to the conclusion that though it will speed up my initial
development, I expect to run into a lot of work once I start writing
reports, for one. I am not really interested in use an OODB as an answer,
but if you have sound reasoning to back you up I  will gladly hear what
you have to  say. I admit my bias, I come from a relational db background,
and I'm comfortable for now that my data model and my object model
(problem space/description) are not the same thing.

I've looked at http://modeling.sourceforge.net/ and other similar
projects, but I'm not yet convinced. Would be interested in your
experience with these type of bridging frameworks.

What I am really looking for is best practice advice when using a rdbms
backing an application designed/written using OO concepts. (Something that
includes or touches on GUI's would be even better).

thanks in advance
jaco