IDE

Steve Menard steve.menard at videotron.ca
Thu Jul 15 10:02:47 EDT 2004

Markus Wankus wrote:

>>     Markus> If you don't mind "bleeding edge" software - pydev for
>>     Markus> Eclipse is coming along.  You can try it for yourself:
>>
>>     Markus> http://pydev.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> Too bad pydev development seems to be stopping - the developer is
>> losing interest in the project (or at least that is what is said on
>> the project page). I tried it yesterday, it seems very promising
>> (though the debugger was very slow).
>>
>> Eclipse is the only candidate worthy of replacing Emacs in the future,
>> so here's to hoping someone will adopt the pydev project at some
>> point.
>>

> I agree.  I think there are a few other developers on the project that
> will take over where Aleks leaves off.  I will definitely get involved
> in the future as time permits. I think this project will rock if we
> could integrate jpype when it is ready (http://jpype.sourceforge.net/).
>
> But you are correct - you do need some sort of type system in the
> language to get all the features of the Java editor.  You could do some
> rudimentary stuff (like the way Pythonwin works for instance) right
> away.  The big thing we need is a *real* debugger - the editor stuff can
> come later.
> Seeing just how amazing Eclipse is for Java development makes me wonder
> if the designers of Java had more than the language in mind when
> developing it.  Perhaps they were thinking ahead to the future of the
> IDE they would use to develop the language....
>
> Markus.

Regarding JPype and Eclipse

Actually you are right. When I started JPype I immediatly saw where it
could help in eclipse. Let's face it, people interested in a Python
editor will not want to spend long hours coding it ... in Java.

I do not know how easy it will be to implement Eclipse plugins/extension
in Python, but I sure will try. :)

Steve Menard