Rationale for core Python numeric types

M. Feinstein mfein2 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 16 07:55:44 EDT 2004

Matt Feinstein <nospam at here.com> wrote in message news:<d0k0d0l210aq7tut9tdhj8iovusks68kia at 4ax.com>...
> Hi all--
>
> I'm new to Python, and was somewhat taken aback to discover that the
> core language lacks some basic numerical types (e.g., single-precision
> float, short integers). I realize that there are extensions that add
> these types-- But what's the rationale for leaving them out? Have I
> wandered into a zone in the space/time continuum where people never
> have to read binary data files?

I don't want to get all pissy about this, but apart from some useful
pointers about how to deal with binary data and some not-so-useful
suggestions about what I should go do with my problems, no one has
answered my original question. Should I conclude that there is no
rationale for core Python numeric types? Should I just go dunk my head
in a pail of water and take a deep breath?

Matt Feinstein

--
The Harvard Law of Automobile Repair: Anything that goes away by
itself will come back by itself.